Spam Warning – HM Revenue & Customs – Please Submit Your Refund Payment

Hi Everyone here is a new spam that is circulating and very difficult to know it is spam. Please tell as many people about this as it’s a very clever one.

Note: you may find that the ‘£’ amount changes, this is a good indicator of spam.

Note: It also has an attached form called ‘Refund_Form.html’ which you shouldn’t even attempt to open

———————————————-

Dear Applicant:

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of 159.46 GBP Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 3-6 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

Please submit the form attached to your email in order to complete your tax refund

Best Regards,

HM Revenue & Customs

————————————————————–

© Copyright 2009, HM Revenue & Customs UK All rights reserved.

TAX REFUND ID: A29L121

—————————————————————-

Stay Safe

Alan Fair

16 Comments

1. Alex says:

Hi ,

Thanks for the heads up. I was just about to call HM Customs about it. I am going to send it away as Spam now.

• Alan Fair says:

I’m glad it’s helped you out. Now for the other million people who don’t know it’s spam. At least you were going to call HM Revenue and Customs as they would have told you it was spam, most people just use the form.

• Adam Sharif says:

Thanks for the heads up + 1! How on earth does this scam work? I’ve looked at the source code for that HTML document and apart from the images, I can’t see any URLs pointing anywhere other than HMRC! Although there are a few images in there which point to some strange site… Hope too many people haven’t been caught out with this one :(

• Alan Fair says:

Hi Adam,
          It was just a few well chosen links in the attached form that was the dangerous part of this, and why this was a particularly nasty spam email as it had a lot of convincers. When you fill out the form your details are sent elsewhere and they can use those details to get more info or steal your identity. The blog seems to have got a lot of hits on this particular spam email so hopefully very few people have been caught out by it.

It is getting harder and harder to spot a fake email these days, which is why I figured I’d start to write about how to identify them, so I’m glad it’s helped you out.

Stay Safe
          Alan

2. John Leonard says:

Thanks for the warning, I am very Sceptical about any email offering money. However, I still opened the form but something prompted me to stop and investigate further. Alarm bells rang when I was asked for my card details (something that is rarely done on a unsecure web page). Your post was very helpful in confirming the rule of thumb for most things “if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is”. Thanks again for taking the time to pass on the warning.

3. Bongs says:

So what happens if you complte fake details?

• Alan Fair says:

Well depending on what they ask for they could get your bank details and enough information to steal your identity, which could be worth a lot to them. for example getting loans or credit cards in your name or directly taking money out your bank account. So it’s not great if they do manage to get that information.

I hope that clears up your query.

Alan Fair
      Contact Multimedia

4. Jeremy Skinner says:

This is happening under the guise of Paypal as well. Please see below:

Dear PayPal Customer,

During our regularly scheduled account maintenance and verification procedure we have detected a
    slight error in your PayPal online account.

This might be due to the following reasons:

1. A recent change in your personal information (ie. change of address, email address)

2. An inability to accurately verify your selected option of payment due to an internal
    error within our systems.

Please fill in all the details that are required to complete this verification process.

To do this we have attached a form to this email. Please download the form and follow the
    instructions on your screen. NOTE: The form needs to be opened in a modern browser which has
    javascript enabled (ex: Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 3, Opera 9)

Please understand that this is a security measure intended to
    help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you choose to ignore our request, you leave us no choice but
    to temporary suspend your account.

Sincerely,
    PayPal Account Review Department.

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.
    For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the “Help” link in the footer of any page.

Has an attachment on it aswell, be careful campers!

5. finance personal software says:

nice share, good article, very usefull for me…thanks

6. Email Marketing says:

Hello thr, thanx a lot for this article …. This was exactly what I was looking for.

7. electronic shisha says:

I usually don’t post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful …

8. Burton Haynes says:

Excellent information. Thanks! ,

9. Richard Britton says:

This was the most useful & valuable thing that I’ve read this week. Thanks very much.

10. Holly Jones says:

Thanks for this. I’v ejust been inmy Junk box & saw the e-mail from HM revenues as soon as I read it I thought it was dodgy as it says your claim cannot be processed by phone. But I was just aout to try & ring HMRC so it’s saved me a job!

Also I noticed I had an e-mail from Paypal in my junk so I’m guessing that’s the spam e-maillisted above – I’m not going to even open it!

Cheers
    Holly

11. Pamela says:

Hi…Can anyone tell me what to do IF one HAS responded to this spam? I am a techno idiot and have done just that! Do I need to inform the bank? Change banks or what??